HomePod, Apple’s long-awaited entry into the torrid smart speaker market, will be available Feb. 9, the company announced Tuesday.
The HomePod, which is not quite 7 inches tall, will be offered in white and space gray. It can be pre-ordered at Apple’s website for US$349 starting Friday.
Unlike other smart speakers, which support a variety of music services out of the gate, HomePod will support the Apple Music subscription service exclusively.
Although Apple Music has a catalog of 45 million songs, that limitation could curb initial sales of the product, noted Ross Rubin, principal analyst at Reticle Research.
Apple’s HomePod Set to Barge Into Hot Speaker Market
Apple’s just released macOS Sierra, and while it’s a minor update, it does include Siri, a universal clipboard, and a handful of other new features. Let’s take a quick look at all the new stuff.
- Siri Lands on Your Mac
- Siri Gives Notification Center More Purpose
- Universal Copy-Paste Between Your Mac and iPhone, Unlock Your Mac with Your Apple Watch
- iCloud Drive Expands to Include Your Desktop and Documents
- Photos on Mac Gets All the New Features of Photos on iOS
- Optimized Storage Clears Up Disc Space
- Apple Music Gets a Little Easier to Use
- Nearly Every App Gets Tabs
- Safari Adds Picture-in-Picture Mode
All the New Features in macOS Sierra